Board index Pokémon Video Game Championships Rate My Team VGC 2014 RMT

VGC 2014 RMT

Virtual Knight User avatar
PWUK Trainer Level 5
PWUK Trainer Level 5

I'm planning to compete in this year's VGC regionals since I've already competed in the Pokémon battle Tournament in the GAME shops around Britain. I lost in round 2. To be honest, it's a miracle I got that far since I had to adlib my team at the last minute because I wasn't aware of the Kalos Dex only rule. (I swear it wasn't on the website! At least I wasn't the only one who came with banned Pokémon.) I've been working on my team for a while and could use some advice. I've bred all my Pokémon to have Max Attack/Sp Attack and Speed IVs, and I've put all their EVs to said stats and what little left to earn to the weakest defence stats.
Spoiler: show
Alakazam Lv 50. Timid, Mischievous.
Ability: Synchronize
HP 128, Atk 61,
Def 57, Sp Atk 187,
Sp Def 109, Spe 189.
Item: Alakazite. Judge's remarks,
"Superior potential, Sp Atk
and Spe can't be beat."
Moves: Psychic, Shadow Ball,
Dazzling Gleam, Hyper Beam.

Greninja Lv 50. Timid, Likes to thrash about.
Ability: Protean
HP 138, Atk 103,
Def 78, Sp Atk 155,
Sp Def 91, Spe 191.
Item: King's Rock. Judge's remarks,
"Superior potential, Atk, Sp Atk,
Sp Def and Spe can't be beat."
Moves: Ice Beam, Dark Pulse,
Scald, Toxic Spikes.

Garchomp Lv 50. Hardy, Alert to sounds.
Ability: Sand Veil
Hp 175, Atk 182,
Def 115, Sp Atk 90,
Sp Def 104, Spe 154.
Item: Wide Lens. Judge's remarks,
"Superior potential, Atk and Spe
can't be beat."
Moves: Dragon Claw, Earthquake,
Stone Edge, Poison Jab.

Jolteon Lv 50. Rash, Alert to sounds.
Ability: Volt Absorb
Hp 137, Atk 78,
Def 71, Sp Atk 178,
Sp Def 97, Spe 182.
Item: Normal Gem. Judge's remarks,
"Superior potential, Sp Atk and Spe
can't be beat."
Moves: Thunder Bolt, Thunder Wave,
Protect, Hyper Beam.

Leafeon Lv 50. Jolly, Likes to thrash about.
Ability: Leaf Guard
Hp 133, Atk 162,
Def 136, Sp Atk 67,
Sp Def 84, Spe 161.
Item: Power Herb. Judge's remarks,
"Superior potential, Atk and Spe
Can't be beat."
Moves: Leaf Blade, Protect,
Dig, Synthesis.

Hydreigon Lv 64 Timid, Alert to sounds.
Ability: Levitate
Hp 196, Atk 128,
Def 136, Sp Atk 225,
Sp Def 126, Spe 209.
Item: Expert Belt Judge's remarks,
"Above Average potential, Sp Atk
and Spe can't be beat."
Moves: Dark Pulse, Dragon Pulse,
Flamethrower, Flash Cannon.

Comments and advice, please.
Anyone who hate Video Games must be stoned! (They're bound to be that's all I'm saying!)

Espeon User avatar
PWUK Moderator
PWUK Moderator

Maybe your opponents 5IV bred, and it is clear you did not... it may have made the difference.

AurafullAlex User avatar
PWUK Trainer Level 14
PWUK Trainer Level 14

Theres a pokemon battle simulator that players practice on call showdown. If you don't use it I would recommend it link is here. http://play.pokemonshowdown.com/ I would also recommend Testing the Pokemon to see what EV spreads work best on showdown and battling other people to to see what needs altering to counter other teams better. Garchomp works as a very good counter to Kangskan for instance and would be best to start first with when facing other Kangakan teams. I would also replace Jolteon with a pokemon that has stab coverage in 2 types rather then one. Pokémon such as rotom W or a fast sweeper like Talonflame, along with either life orb to increase damage or a choice scarf for a slow pokemon to get a head start. This item does also however restrict the pokemon to only one move for the whole battle so use wisely. Good luck with your training and have fun! :D
(Changed name from LucarioDudeAlex)

PWUK Trainer Level 5
PWUK Trainer Level 5

@Espeon So what I've heard about using the Destiny Knot in breeding is true? I've been struggling so badly getting that trick to work for me, I've already dismissed it as a myth.

@LucarioDudeAlex I've been testing my team with Battle Spot, but it's not exactly valid, is it? The best way I could come up with is to see how many battles I could win in a row and/or how problems I would come up against multiple times. I'll See what showdown'll do for me, thanks. But I'm not sure about taking Jolteon off the team. It's only got a STAB in one element, true, but it's the only Electric Pokémon with decent natural stats. It's the 2nd fastest next to electrode and it's got good Sp Attack, so I taught him Hyper Beam and gave him a Normal Gem to compensate for no second STABs. Regardless, I'm gonna breed a Rotom and see how it sizes up.
Anyone who hate Video Games must be stoned! (They're bound to be that's all I'm saying!)

Espeon User avatar
PWUK Moderator
PWUK Moderator

Oh, it does work but there's still a strong element of luck! I can confirm that it DOES indeed work.

Samsonite PWUK Owner
PWUK Owner

Badges: 2
Admin Team Owner

It takes a long time but it will work, i have 2 fully IV breed pokemon using it
Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
Round 2 VGC 2011 Birmingham
Round 2 London #3
Round 2 VGC 2012 Birmingham
VGC 2013 Birmingham - DNF
VGC 2014 Manchester - 111th

Espeon User avatar
PWUK Moderator
PWUK Moderator

I've 5IV bred four Pokemon using the Destiny Knot.

PWUK Trainer Level 5
PWUK Trainer Level 5

How long does it take on average to breed a 5 max IV PKMN, anyway?

Samsonite PWUK Owner
PWUK Owner

Badges: 2
Admin Team Owner

Depends on what IV's the Parents have, the more 31 IV's the parents have. the quicker it will be as there is more of a chance those will be passed on as one of the 5 fixed ones, there is a 1 in 12 chance of a parents stat being one of the 5 passed on
Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
Round 2 VGC 2011 Birmingham
Round 2 London #3
Round 2 VGC 2012 Birmingham
VGC 2013 Birmingham - DNF
VGC 2014 Manchester - 111th

AurafullAlex User avatar
PWUK Trainer Level 14
PWUK Trainer Level 14

Virtual knight Showdown is the biggest battle simulator around opened 9 months ago and now hundreds of thousands of members. It is also a really good simulator to use any member would highly recomend it. The gens also can't be obtained in gen 6 from what I've heard making them illegal so I would honestly replace the normal gem for life orb as they could only be used in gen 5.

Samson The destiny knot passes 2 to 3 IV's from each parent so the chances of breeding prefect IV's would be a lot better for sure.

PWUK Trainer Level 5
PWUK Trainer Level 5

At Alex's suggestion, I'm trying to breed a Rotom with 5 max IVs and luckily, I have dittos all with one max IV. Sadly, one of them also have a HP IV of 0. How long should I expect to get a Rotom with the IVs I want? So far, I've bred one with max HP, Defence and Sp Attack and another with max Hp, Attack, Sp Attack and Speed. The latter is the parent of the former.

@Alex: Even the Normal Gem? The only one that's legally obtained in Gen 6?
Last edited by Virtual Knight on , edited 1 time in total.

AurafullAlex User avatar
PWUK Trainer Level 14
PWUK Trainer Level 14

Virtual knight No that would go for all gems only be obtainable in gen 5 I'm sad to say.

PWUK Trainer Level 5
PWUK Trainer Level 5

LucarioDudeAlex wrote:
Virtual knight No that would go for all gems only be obtainable in gen 5 I'm sad to say.

Why did they do that?! Put the Normal Gem in Terminus Cave and not put the rest in?!

AurafullAlex User avatar
PWUK Trainer Level 14
PWUK Trainer Level 14

Virtual Knight wrote:
LucarioDudeAlex wrote:

Why did they do that?! Put the Normal Gem in Terminus Cave and not put the rest in?!

Just checked on Serebii and yes only normal gem is in the gen 6 games probably because of all the new items they had to cram in for the gen 6 games still stupid though. You will would also notice the very proof of that with never seeing the gems being used for the gen 6 VGC format. It's just a shame really. :(

PWUK Trainer Level 5
PWUK Trainer Level 5

Ok, so far I bred a Rotom with all IVs at 31 except for Sp Defence which I'm sure is at 30. HP125, Attack76, Defence128, Sp Attack157, Sp Defence138, Speed 138. Calm Nature. It knows Thunderbolt, Shadow Ball, Discharge and I made it possess a fan and gave it a Sharp Beak. I know Alex said to make it possess a washing machine, but I need a Flying type move.
Opinions please.

AurafullAlex User avatar
PWUK Trainer Level 14
PWUK Trainer Level 14

Virtual Knight wrote:
Ok, so far I bred a Rotom with all IVs at 31 except for Sp Defence which I'm sure is at 30. HP125, Attack76, Defence128, Sp Attack157, Sp Defence138, Speed 138. Calm Nature. It knows Thunderbolt, Shadow Ball, Discharge and I made it possess a fan and gave it a Sharp Beak. I know Alex said to make it possess a washing machine, but I need a Flying type move.
Opinions please.

Well flying Rotom isn't the most reliable I would strongly recommend wither water or fire rotom. There's also many different mega forms you should also think about like Mega Abomasnow, mega Garydos, mega Charizard, mega Lucario, mega Gadevior mega kangaskan and so on. You are also going to need to think about what teams you are most likely going to face, what the strongest counters of these teams are going to be, and there for what Pokemon your going to build your team of in order to counter them. So just try different teams out on showdown until your feel the team is right and see what teams other people are using and try them out and see how it goes. Also try and find a good starting set up for your battles as knowing which two Pokemon to start the battle with in response to the your opponents team is also very important.

ChicoMono User avatar
PWUK Administrator
PWUK Administrator

Badges: 1
Admin Team

Following on from what Alex said, here is a basic set for Rotom which works well:

Rotom-Wash @ Sitrus Berry
Calm Nature
Levitate
252 HP / 140 Sp.Def / 116 Sp.Atk

Hydro Pump
Thunderbolt
Will-o-Wisp
Protect/Light Screen/Reflect
Now with 50% added Moderator-ness.

Pokemon X:
ChicoMono; 0559-6986-8750
Trainer Shiny Value = 2731
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Tournament History:
UK Manchester VGCs 2014: Senior Division : 9th Overall
UK Birmingham VGCs 2013: Senior Division : 14th Overall - Qualified for Worlds 2013!
UK Birmingham VGCs 2012: Senior Division : 52nd Overall

PokemonWorld.co.uk London 2 Tournament: 7th Overall
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
60 Championship Points
The United Kingdom's 14th Best Senior-Division Player as of Worlds 2013!

PWUK Trainer Level 5
PWUK Trainer Level 5

I've got to hurry up and set my team up. The date and venue for the VGC nationals have been announced!

ChicoMono User avatar
PWUK Administrator
PWUK Administrator

Badges: 1
Admin Team

They already were though Knight... only its just been OFFICIAL revealed, we all knew hence us planning out hotels, etc :D
Now with 50% added Moderator-ness.

Pokemon X:
ChicoMono; 0559-6986-8750
Trainer Shiny Value = 2731
Tournament History:
UK Manchester VGCs 2014: Senior Division : 9th Overall
UK Birmingham VGCs 2013: Senior Division : 14th Overall - Qualified for Worlds 2013!
UK Birmingham VGCs 2012: Senior Division : 52nd Overall

PokemonWorld.co.uk London 2 Tournament: 7th Overall
60 Championship Points
The United Kingdom's 14th Best Senior-Division Player as of Worlds 2013!

PWUK Trainer Level 5
PWUK Trainer Level 5

ChicoMono wrote:
They already were though Knight... only its just been OFFICIAL revealed, we all knew hence us planning out hotels, etc :D

Seriously?! I've been looking it up for weeks!!

Next

Return to Rate My Team