Board index Pokémon Video Game Championships UK VGCs this Saturday/Sunday! Hype!

UK VGCs this Saturday/Sunday! Hype!

The Competitive Pokémon video game championship discussion area! If you play black2/white2 then you can participate at the VGC in which you can win a trip to Vancouver Canada to represent the UK at the World Championships!

IceArceus User avatar
PWUK Trainer Level 22
PWUK Trainer Level 22

PokerobVGC UStream

Pokérob had been streaming throughout the day, and therefore video highlights for anyone interested can be found on his UStream Channel above. Seems like everyone had a good time nonetheless.
Winner of London Gamerbase 3
3rd at VGC 2012 UK Nationals (Seniors)
11th at VGC 2012 World Championships (Seniors)

AurafullAlex User avatar
PWUK Trainer Level 14
PWUK Trainer Level 14

Worst year overall by far I had terrible luck and everything just seemed to be going wrong. Just weren't my year this time. -_-
(Changed name from LucarioDudeAlex)

AurafullAlex User avatar
PWUK Trainer Level 14
PWUK Trainer Level 14

PS over all as put by most of the Facebook commenters the event was a complete shambles. 3:00 AM many started at it has never taken this long ridiculous. I have heard it was down to a software shutdown but I mean common! When the first round did finally start not only was I one of the bunch of players to shout "FINALLY!" I also shouted "WAHOO!" in a homer like way several times so if you heard someone doing so that was me. I stayed for the first 4 rounds and then had to go an hour back up north home to Leeds. Many players have now been put off going again in the future. NOT including myself. The thing is the TCG people are professionals while the video games organisers are not as such with pokemon constantly getting the age groups wrong and possibly several other things as well. Not even an announced apology was given. I was trying to find Samson by going to the numbered tables but kept getting the wrong Joseph. I did keep my own number in mind though to save myself time. I hope you lot will carry on doing nationals and I hope to see you all next year irl.
Last edited by AurafullAlex on , edited 3 times in total.

Espeon User avatar
PWUK Moderator
PWUK Moderator

I mysteriously have a 66.67% win rate with my all Eevee team, haha.

Samsonite PWUK Owner
PWUK Owner

Badges: 2
Admin Team Owner

I ended up going 5-3 so im ok with the outcome
Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
Round 2 VGC 2011 Birmingham
Round 2 London #3
Round 2 VGC 2012 Birmingham
VGC 2013 Birmingham - DNF
VGC 2014 Manchester - 111th

Blaze Pyro User avatar
PWUK Trainer Level 9
PWUK Trainer Level 9

Does anyone know what time it finished? Last year it took until midnight.
ImageLondon 2 - Top 64Image
London 3 - Top 62
VGC12 UK - 11th
Manchester 4 - 14th
VGC13 UK - 16th
VGC13 Europe - 38th

How to RNG Pickup: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MST19JM8Dk

Samsonite PWUK Owner
PWUK Owner

Admin Team Owner

Swiss rounds finished around 9PM Saturday, with top cut being done by about 3PM on the sunday
Round 2 London #3

IceArceus User avatar
PWUK Trainer Level 22
PWUK Trainer Level 22

A few of my own questions:

How many attendees were there, I assumed they would most likely be down on last year but apparently it was higher this year (even more than the TCG, supposedly).

How many people 'dropped' halfway through the tournament due to needing to get back before Swiss ended after the long delay in starting (again) - something which definitely should've been rectified after last year's debacle.

How were the two swiss flights in the masters decided and how many were there in each flight, as I've also been hearing that one flight may have had more than the other and one had a higher number of more 'established/better' players

Samsonite PWUK Owner
PWUK Owner

Admin Team Owner

Not sure on attendee numbers but it wasn't more than last year in the VGC, it was almost empty to begin with

The number of people dropping was getting rather large by the end, you even had people dropout round 2 which was started about 3.30pm

No idea how the flights were separated, it looked rather random to me
Round 2 London #3

Demelza User avatar
PWUK Moderator
PWUK Moderator

Badges: 1
News Team
IceArceus12 wrote:
How many people 'dropped' halfway through the tournament due to needing to get back before Swiss ended after the long delay in starting (again) - something which definitely should've been rectified after last year's debacle.

A lot of people, myself included, dropped out either before Swiss even got started or by the fourth round. I went 2 wins and 2 losses and dropped out before the fifth round due to having booked my train home for just before seven, stupidly thinking we'd be finished Swiss by then...

Was an enjoyable day overall, the delays were really stupid though and need sorted out for next year before we go three years in a row of late starts and late finishes...

IceArceus User avatar
PWUK Trainer Level 22
PWUK Trainer Level 22

Demelza wrote:
A lot of people, myself included, dropped out either before Swiss even got started or by the fourth round. I went 2 wins and 2 losses and dropped out before the fifth round due to having booked my train home for just before seven, stupidly thinking we'd be finished Swiss by then...

Was an enjoyable day overall, the delays were really stupid though and need sorted out for next year before we go three years in a row of late starts and late finishes...

That's a shame really, it does look like the same mistakes have been made again. After this, you really can't be too hopeful of them finally getting it right next year, which is not good. Nonetheless, good to see you enjoyed yourself.

Espeon User avatar
PWUK Moderator
PWUK Moderator

Demelza wrote:
IceArceus12 wrote:

You and I were in the same boat, all I got done were a few matches then Alex and I left......

Samsonite PWUK Owner
PWUK Owner

Admin Team Owner

This is why I booked to stay all weekend as had a hunch they would run late
Round 2 London #3

Lost Cause User avatar
PWUK Trainer Level 10
PWUK Trainer Level 10

Well didn't that happen last year too?

Tournaments competed at:
  • London 2 (2011)
  • London 3 (2012)
Tournaments spectated at:
  • VGC UK 2012

Samsonite PWUK Owner
PWUK Owner

Admin Team Owner

Yep, it was even more delayed than last year, no idea why as the same software is used for TCG and that seemed to run on time
Round 2 London #3

AurafullAlex User avatar
PWUK Trainer Level 14
PWUK Trainer Level 14

Samsonite wrote:
no idea why as the same software is used for TCG and that seemed to run on time

Actually the first round for TCG masters was delayed by 90 minutes. (still no wear near as long as the first round for VGC was and showed just how much the TCG staff were in control in comparison since an hour and a half is still not long enough to leave an impact like a 4 hour delay is.) By the time the first round for VGC masters was finally up lots of people then left and of course TCG didn't come to that still keeping there nationals event very much under control in comparison.
Last edited by AurafullAlex on , edited 1 time in total.

Samsonite PWUK Owner
PWUK Owner

Admin Team Owner

90 minutes is an acceptable delay, given the time it takes to process large numbers of people. I would have been happy with that
Round 2 London #3

Pokérob User avatar
PWUK Founder
PWUK Founder

The Sunday went SO FAST!

I had so much fun with the livestream, it's a real shame they didn't pay for WiFi because if they did we could've used it and had 720P 30FPS stream of the matches!

But yeah it was a bit shambolic but this is due to the fact that it was their first time running it (GordionKnot) I am sure in time things can change.

lordie1000 PWUK Trainer Level 1
PWUK Trainer Level 1

I went 6/1 in seniors losing to the guy who went 7/0, made top cut then came 3rd/4th so very pleased :) No sure how travel awards work though...

Pokérob User avatar
PWUK Founder
PWUK Founder

Travel Award means you get flights and hotel paid for to go to Washington DC to compete at the World Championships :) You did pass on your details to them?

PreviousNext

Return to Video Game Championships