Board index Pokémon Pokémon Video Game Vs. Recorder My VGC 13 RMT (And first post!) _____EDIT_____

My VGC 13 RMT (And first post!) _____EDIT_____

Warstories from battles and events can be seen here! This is also the area to post your RMTs and the fellow veterans of pokémon battles here at PWUK will give you tips and advice on how to improve to become a pokémon master!

Toquill User avatar
PWUK Trainer Level 25
PWUK Trainer Level 25

'Sup y'all!
This is my team I'm going to use for VGC 2013, and I'm going to recreate the team on Pokemon Online and export it to text because apparently that's what all the cool kids are doing, so keep in mind the IVs and EVs won't be exact, but it's how I'd love them to be, also I got these ideas from Smogon so they're going to be quite mainstream, so here goes!

THIS IS AN EDIT- ALL CHANGES WILL BE IN RED

Gliscor (M) @ Flying Gem
Trait: Sand Veil
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Earthquake
- Acrobatics
- Taunt
- Protect

This is a pretty mainstream Gliscor, I'm sure you all know the Acrobatics/Flying Gem strategy so I wont explain that (Google it if need be), Taunt stops some threats, and Sand Veil is for Sandstorm support, Protect and Earthquake have VGC12/13 written all over them, and yeah. That's my Gliscor.

Tyranitar (M) @ Chople Berry
Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
- Superpower
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Protect

Now, this Tyranitar is a little gimmicky- I'm using the Larvitar given out at VGC last year so I can be all like "Yeah, I was here last year, I'm experienced with this kinda thing" even though I did horrible last year, oh and he's SHIIIINNNNNYYYYYYYYY :) . This is another mainstream Pokemon, Superpower is beast, Quake and Rock Slide for Double Battle wins, and Protect for scouting. I even kept the Chople Berry he had :P

Ferrothorn (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spd)
- Gyro Ball
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip
- Protect

Ferrothorn is a beast! Everyone is telling me I need some Rain protection, and Ferrothorn is quite a good option, I think. It's only weaknesses are Fire and Fighting, and NOBODY would use Fire in their Rain team unless they have Volcarona or something, so any Super Effective attack that comes my way I can block by switching into Chandelure! Gyro Ball is there for Trick Room countering at it's lightest.

Chandelure (F) @ Choice Specs
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SAtk / 4 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Heat Wave
- Shadow Ball
- Energy Ball
- Hidden Power [Ice]

I always get scared with Choice users in my team, so Chandelure is a new thing for me- I have to give credit to my friend who EV trained this bad boy and got her with Hidden Power Ice! Love it! Mainstream Choice user, but I'm considering replacing Scarf with Specs, so I'll let you judge that.
I replaced Scarf with Specs, I went for Power over everything else in the end.

Hitmontop (M) @ Sitrus Berry
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 120 SDef / 136 Spd
- Close Combat
- Sucker Punch
- Fake Out
- Detect

Hitmontop is one of my favourites, but this is a very common set for him- Fake Out for flinch, Close Combat for power, Detect for Protection with less Imprison rate (however uncommon), and Sucker Punch for high powered priority. I'm thinking of swapping the Sitrus Berry for Eject Button, for double Intimidate and maybe a clean slate for Close Combat, so let me know!

Thundurus-T (M) @ Electric Gem
Trait: Volt Absorb
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Thunder
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Water]
- Protect

I really wanted to use Exploding Metagross, but it wasn't really practical... Life goes on- I want to thank woopahking123 for suggesting Thundurus as a speedy rain abuser, but I tweaked him to be Therian. Therian Forme does lose speed, but really boosts power, and because of that he has 252 Speed EVs and Timid, to get all the speed he can. This Pokemon's only purpose is for facing off against Rain teams, he has Thunder and HP Water for the rain boosts they get, Protect for obvious reasons and Volt Switch for switching out with some damage dealt- but I'll have to test his speed before I do that.

Remember, I'm new to this so if I seem like a N00B writing this, apologies. I have been researching competitive play thoroughly since VGC12, when I saw the real competition. Thank you for reading and please help out if I can improve the team in any way, but they're already EV trained so really I can only change moves... Thanks again!

This update taken me ages, and I could really use all the help I could get here- Thanks!
Last edited by Toquill on , edited 3 times in total.
won't you notice me icearceus12 senpai~
Nintendo UK 2013 Winter Champion

NidoRich User avatar
PWUK Trainer Level 5
PWUK Trainer Level 5

[Gliscor]
Unique seeing Taunt on this. I'm guessing you just wanted something on the team to have taunt to deal with Trick Room and the like. Other than replacing Taunt (Unless neccisary) I'd say maybe go for another attack to increase it's variety.

[Tyranitar]
No, in my opinion Superpower is not awesome. It's only good against other T-Tar and even then they usually carry the Chople Berry, meanwhile you're sitting there with -1 Atk and -1 Def which is not good for T-Tar. Give it Crunch as that is it's strongest Dark move and can deal a lot to Cress and other Psychic/Ghost types.

[Chansey]
In VGC I would not advise time-stallers. Your opponent can focus on tackling all your other 'mons and leave it 4-1 vs Chansey.....so then they can time stall you.

[Chandelure]
I hope it was just a typo with the 4 SpA/4Speed. The attacks are what you'd see on a Chandelure anyway so no comment there.

[Hitmontop]
I personally would not place any EV's in speed but if you want him to outspeed stuff for your team then go ahead :) Hitmontop's Sucker Punch is only good vs Lati@s or Chandelure+Other Ghosts, other than that it is rarely any use.

[Metagross]
I dislike using Explosion on things. If you make a misplay and/or your opponent protects, that would leave you with a dead Meta for nothing which is very bad. Give it Meteor Mash because that is it's best attack (providing it hits).

[Team as a whole]
Didn't take me so long to see that your team is verrrry Rain weak. You have nothing to combat a rain team apart from the sandstream that T-Tar provides.
Too many Earthquakes. I'd probably remove it from T-Tar or Metagross but it's your choice.

As a whole I'd say it's a nice first team, so keep it up :)
=Never Lose Hope, Without Hope You Cannot Dream=

Manchester #5 - 1st ~Winner~
UK VGC'12 - Top 8 (6th)
Aut Friendly 2012 - 81/3923
2012 VGCS Winter Battle - 18/2347 (8CP)
2013 Jan International Chal - 130/21017 (4CP)
2013 Winter Friendly - 90/6939

ChicoMono User avatar
PWUK Administrator
PWUK Administrator

Badges: 1
Admin Team

Like Nido said, your team is very rain-weak - I suggest adding in a Rotom-Wash perhaps as that benefits with Hydro-Pump accuracy increases and You should have thunderbolt on it or Discharge if you prefer, but T-Bolt is generally better!

Also may I say thanks for reminding me I need to start thinking about teams too :)
Now with 50% added Moderator-ness.

Pokemon X:
ChicoMono; 0559-6986-8750
Trainer Shiny Value = 2731
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Tournament History:
UK Manchester VGCs 2014: Senior Division : 9th Overall
UK Birmingham VGCs 2013: Senior Division : 14th Overall - Qualified for Worlds 2013!
UK Birmingham VGCs 2012: Senior Division : 52nd Overall

PokemonWorld.co.uk London 2 Tournament: 7th Overall
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
60 Championship Points
The United Kingdom's 14th Best Senior-Division Player as of Worlds 2013!

combustandy PWUK Trainer Level 5
PWUK Trainer Level 5

As previously stated your team is very rain weak. One way of changing this would be to possibly use gastrodon. That way he can absorb those dreaded h-pumps.

As for t-tar I would replace super power. One option would be to replace it with thunder/ice/fire punch for coverage. As I don't see a.point in giving it a fighting move as that is what 'top is there for. Crunch is another viable option as with low kick. A stranger option would be to use thunder wave as it is handy to have and it would catch people off guard as people haven't used it for a while.

Toquill User avatar
PWUK Trainer Level 25
PWUK Trainer Level 25

Thanks for the responses guys!
I've decided that I'll replace TTars Superpower with Crunch, and I wanna replace Quake on him now, so replacement suggestions please?

I hope it was just a typo with the 4 SpA/4Speed.

Yeah, it was, it's supposed to be 252 SpA EVs :/

I like the Explosion on Metagross, and I'm gonna try to pull off Taunt on the opponents before Exploding to stop Protects and Subs.

I can see that my team is very rain weak, but they have all been EV trained so I don't really wanna switch out anyone, so maybe I'll give someone Electric/Grass moves if possible?

Maybe I could give Hitmontop Wide Guard rather than Sucker Punch?

Chansey is a staller, and I know it isn't great in VGC, but I just love +6 evasivenss, so maybe I could replace Toxic with Protect or (if possible) Thunder to further help my rain weakness.

Thanks again, guys!

Pokérob User avatar
PWUK Founder
PWUK Founder

Dude wheres the shuckle guard swap here seriously? If you're running chansey this is usually a common concept.

Also if you're that worried about water types it might be worth considering running a pokemon with the move soak and using soak on chansey.

woopahking User avatar
PWUK Trainer Level 18
PWUK Trainer Level 18

I would suggest adding Thundurus for twave as most of your team are quite slow.
I'm a scrub but only sometimes

Toquill User avatar
PWUK Trainer Level 25
PWUK Trainer Level 25

Ok, I'm thinking about replacing a Pokemon for Thundurus, since I can access his Therian Forme...

Shall I replace Chansey?

Toquill User avatar
PWUK Trainer Level 25
PWUK Trainer Level 25

I've now edited this- Please give feedback :3

IceArceus User avatar
PWUK Trainer Level 22
PWUK Trainer Level 22

Just having a quick read here, why do you have entry hazards on ferrothorn? Entry hazards in VGC are almost redundant, VGC is completely different to singles, it's a much faster game with less switching, meaning they will be hard to get up in the first place, and even when they're up, they won't exactly be doing much.
Winner of London Gamerbase 3
3rd at VGC 2012 UK Nationals (Seniors)
11th at VGC 2012 World Championships (Seniors)

Toquill User avatar
PWUK Trainer Level 25
PWUK Trainer Level 25

Good point, I'll just change Ferro's attacks to Power Whip and Protect

Samsonite PWUK Owner
PWUK Owner

Badges: 2
Admin Team Owner

Locked at the request of Toquill
Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews